A Band Saw is a very versatile and most common power tool used in any workshop. These come in many different shapes and sizes and have the ability to cut through any material, be it wood, metal or meat. Depending on the type of material needs to be cut, band saws are of the following types:
Metal Band Saw
As the name suggests, this type of band saw has the ability to cut through tough metal. These are of two types.
- The vertical Band Saw which is used to cut the metal stock down to size
- The Horizontal band saw which is used for filing, polishing and contouring of the metal
Wood Band Saw
It is very popular among professional and amateur woodworkers. These are used for generally ripping timber and comes in different sizes. The small ones are used in workshops whereas the bigger ones are used in large timber mills. Wood band saws are also of various kinds with saws of varying sizes and blades. These are the following:
You can check Band Saw Reviews before planning to buy one for yourself.
These are large band saws with wide tooth space used for making the first cut on the wood log.
- Re saw: These are again large type of band saw , which cuts the stock into smaller sections.
- Double cut Saws: In this type the cutting teeth are present on both the sides of the saw. The opposite turning teeth allows it to cut through the wood without getting stuck.
Meat Band Saw
This is used to cut and carve different types of meat. Its made of stainless Steel so that it can be cleaned easily. These meat saws give precision and smooth cut that’s sharp enough to cut through the bones as well.
Portable Band Saw
This kind of band saw is best suited for people who need to take the tool to different locations. It can cut straight , curved lines or irregular shapes. These are also used when the material to be cut are too large to fit on the table of a regular band saw.
As per Band Saw Reviews, a few basic safety rules need to be followed while handling any kind of band saw for safe operation. These are the following
- Follow the guidelines provided by the manufacturer
- The fingers and other body parts should always be kept out of the path of the blade
- When approaching the end of the cut, the feed pressure should be decreased
- Before changing the blades, the machine should be disconnected from the power source
- Always wear proper eye protection
- Always use the blade guard and keep it in place
- If any chip of wood or metal gets stuck, stop the saw before clearing it
Before making the purchase, the space available in the workshop should be kept in mind. If there is less space, the buyer can go for smaller bench top models which are equally powerful. The first time user should have lot of patience to learn the art of using this tool , as it takes skill and practice to get the cuts right. So it’s advisable to begin with some test materials first. Once the beginner gets the hang of this power tool, it becomes an indispensable piece of machine in the workshop.